By product and application
A broad stakeholder consultation revealed that emissions of chlorinated solvents are the cause of most of the pressure being brought to bear against chlorinated solvents products. By reducing emissions we can achieve better efficiency of use, more value from each molecule of solvent and reduced potential for exposure.
This Vision Element should achieve the benefits of:
- Driving industry and product sustainability by identifying challenges or opportunities for each emissive application
- Ensuring safety for human health and environment
- Demonstrating continual improvement of sustainability in emissive applications
- Resolving issues over impact of energy and raw materials
ECSA will analyze emissive applications, prioritize them, and define sustainability improvement actions
- ECSA has so far reviewed an impressive total of 60 applications
- ECSA Product&Application Toolbox
ECSA has developed an online toolbox freely accessible via the ECSA website to provide users of chlorinated solvents with information about the safe & sustainable use of the products. It is built as a self-explanatory guide based on a simple decision tree of product applications to lead the user readily to the proper information on safe use, environmental protection as well as legislative requirements.
The recommendations do take into account REACH (1907/2006/EC on the Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of Chemicals) as well as other European legislation or voluntary industry commitments. The content of the Toolbox is based on the REACH Chemical Safety Assessment (CSA) of the substances.
However, the Toolbox also includes recommendations based on experience of ECSA members that go beyond the given legal framework of the CSA under REACH.
See the ECSA Product&Application Toolbox page.
Raw material, energy & production aspects will be coordinated with upstream organizations
- ECSA is in constant dialogue with Euro Chlor and is sharing events; e.g. a joint yearly General Assembly with reports on activities in the different committees
- ECSA is liaising with Euro Chlor on its new Sustainability Programme 2011-2020.