ECSA Sustainability Program
ECSA started its sustainability programme in 2007 with the ambitious aim to cover the whole chlorinated solvents value chain.
The programme was prepared by an independent consultancy with the mission to ensure responsible production, distribution, use and end-of-life management of chlorinated solvents. Nine objectives were set under the three vision elements: Sustainability by product and application; Value chain engagement; Stakeholder engagement and communication.
Sustainability by product and application
- ECSA Product & Application toolbox available online. Recommendations for a safe & sustainable use for 5 solvents and more than 60 applications. More than 350 individual activities covered. Consult the Product & Application Toolbox.
- Dichloromethane and carbon tetrachloride successfully assessed under the OECD HPV Program.
- Chlorinated Solvents: improved Safety & Quality Assessment Questionnaire for Distributors of Chlorinated Solvents (ESAD)
- Trichloroethylene: Charter for the safe use of Trichloroethylene
Value chain engagement
- Sustainability workshop held with solvents distributors in cooperation with FECC
- Perchloroethylene: E-DryClean sustainable dry cleaning processing
Stakeholder engagement and communication
- ECSA Guidance on Storage and Handling of Chlorinated Solvents translated into several languages (English, French, German, Italian and Russian).
- Revamp of ECSA website to improve stakeholder communication
See more information in the following chapters summarizing the key elements of the programme:
Last update : 06/2014